Well, my U.S. friends…
THE WAIT IS OVER!!!!
(That is…it’s over if you’re 18 years or older, anyway.)
The long-awaited Animas Vibe received final FDA approval on November 25, 2014 and made it’s debut in the United States with a press release on December 1st. The Animas Vibe has already been met with resounding success internationally throughout Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.
The most obvious feature that sets the Vibe apart from other technology is the integration with Dexcom G4 continuous glucose monitoring technology. Studies have shown Dexcom to be the most accurate continuous glucose monitor available in the United States.
And, while that’s completely newsworthy all on its own, there are actually a few other features that make the Vibe pretty attractive as well…
** Animas has added a “Jump to Value” bolus — which means no more scrolling up from 0.00u!! With the simple push of a button, the suggested bolus will appear, and then the user can scroll up or down from that point, as desired.
** Have I ever mentioned how important I consider the “Insulin On Board” (IOB) feature? Because it’s a dealbreaker for me. I consider the IOB feature to be one of the most important aspects to an insulin pump.
On the Vibe, you can see IOB information right on the CGM Data Screen. #swooning!
** Animas has improved the interfaces for inputting and editing individualized pump settings such as carb ratios, targets, and insulin sensitivity factors,
All of that being said, there are a few bumps in our road to the Vibe…for starters, at this point you have to be at least 18 years old to access it. Sugar is 11. That means more waiting. Fortunately, however, pediatric approval is in the works, though no timeline has been given as to when we can expect it.
Waiting longer gives us more time to mull over the decision to exchange our remote for the integrated CGM…because the Vibe doesn’t use a remote.
I’m equally as heartbroken about it. I’ve known this truth ever since first hearing about the Vibe eons ago, but it doesn’t make it any easier for me. We love the remote feature of the Ping. It’s a difficult predicament for someone, like me, who wants both features, like, NOW.
Sugar’s warranty expires on 12/27/14. Stay tuned for an updated round up of why we have chosen to stay with Animas, and I’ll be sure to bring you more Vibe updates as they surface.
To close out this post, I wanted to share that I had an opportunity to ask Animas a few questions about the Vibe. I’ll post the questions and answers here, in their entirety:
- Can we still use the same Animas cartridges? Yes
- Does the suggested bolus auto populate? (Not necessary to scroll up from 0.00u – instead the suggested bolus shows up first, and then the user can scroll up or down from there as desired.) The suggested bolus will not auto populate. However Animas has added a Jump to Value bolus populator feature to Vibe. When a recommended bolus is calculated, 0.00u will still be shown on the screen; but with a single press of the up arrow button, the amount recommended by the bolus calculator will automatically populate in the dose amount field on screen. The user no longer needs to scroll up from 0.00u to the recommended amount.
- There’s a burning question — particularly among parents — inquiring as to why the Vibe doesn’t have a remote? While Vibe does not feature a meter remote, Animas will continue to offer OneTouch Ping for patients and parents looking for that specific feature. Our goal is to provide people living with diabetes a range of products to meet varying needs, including CGM technology and meter-remote capabilities.
- We use the One Touch Ping remote and have a solid supply of One Touch Blue strips. If we were to switch to the Vibe, what meter options are available that would still allow the use of One Touch Blue strips? Along those lines, is there a meter that communicates with the Vibe to automatically insert and store glucose readings? Animas is offering OneTouch Verio® IQ Blood Glucose Meter at no charge with the Animas® Vibe™ System for eligible patients. OneTouch Verio® Test Strips are different from the One Touch Blue strips and are sold separately. In order to use the One Touch Blue strips you have remaining, you would have to use either the OneTouch Ultra 2 or the Ultra Mini meter.
- The Vibe is only approved for adults,18 yrs and over. Are plans for pediatric approval in the works? Where does that process stand at the moment? We are working diligently to offer this solution to children with diabetes but we cannot speculate on timing of pediatric approval for Animas® Vibe™ in the US.
- Aside from the obvious CGM integration, can you share some of the other differences between the Vibe and the Ping? A key difference is the jump to Value bolus populator discussed above. In addition, the Vibe offers an updated interface to simplify setting/editing of user parameters like insulin to carbohydrate ratio, target BG range, and insulin sensitivity factors.
- On a side note, since the Ping is still an Animas pump option, are there any plans to update the remote? We are constantly evaluating our product portfolio, listening to our customer’s feedback and looking for ways to improve on what we bring to market. However, due to compliance concerns we cannot comment on future development of the OneTouch Ping remote.
Here’s more information if you’re interested in updating to the Animas Vibe:
What does a patient need to do to switch from OneTouch Ping to Vibe?
- Once Animas® Vibe™ is available in the US, we will provide an EZAccess Upgrade program, which offers patients who qualify the opportunity to upgrade to our latest technology, Animas® Vibe™. More details of the EZAccess Upgrade program will be made available when the program is launched.
What does a patient need to do when switching from a different company to Animas?
- If a patient would like to switch to either the OneTouch Ping or the Animas Vibe they should discuss this with their health care provider first. From there they can determine which option works best for their diabetes management and contact Animas Customer Support at 1-877-937-7867.